Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I'm trying something new

I have a confession to make. I'm not an early morning runner.

It's not that I'm not a morning person. I actually enjoy waking up early and watching the sunrise, coffee in hand. But I don't like to actually get out of my bed early. The best mornings are the three days a week when my husband Chris is off or goes into work a little later. He will bring my coffee to me in bed, so I never even have to put my feet on the cold floor or leave my fluffy pillows and blankets.

If I had my choice, I'd exercise between 10:00am and noon every day. But that isn't always possible, and it is almost never convenient. Many days, I end up skipping my run, or I take something else off of my agenda so that I can sweat for 45 minutes or so.

Three to four days a week, my husband leaves for work at 3:30am. On these days, it is impossible for me to get in an early morning workout. I have to wait and get my kids ready for school and out the door, or get a babysitter in the wee hours of the morning.

That still leaves most Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays to get up and out early. This is one of my goals for next year. I want to run or workout early (before 7:00am) at least once a week on a regular basis. This gives me tons of flexibility with my work schedule, which is often erratic.

I'm going to try to start practicing early and go out tomorrow. It's supposed to be chilly, which makes it that much harder to get out of my warm bed. But, I have my running clothes out and ready, my shoes untied and by the door. My schedule is jam-packed tomorrow, so I know that this will be my only opportunity to run. I'm visualizing myself doing it.

Most important, now I've stated my goal publicly. Every reader knows my plan and will be counting on me to stick with it. And if that isn't inspiring, I'm not sure what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment